Wangjing Women and Girls Society is a non-profit and non-governmental organisation registered in 1962 under the Society Registration Act 1860. It was established by some social workers of Wangjing village of Manipur under the leadership of (late) Laishram Suvakumar. Under the umbrella of Wangjing Women and Girls Society, Wangjing Thoubal District Manipur various projects had been implemented successfully. Some projects namely (i) Senior Citizen Home for Older women, (ii) Urban Livelihood Project, (iii) Start Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP), (iv) Bank Linkage Programme, (v) Vocational/Entrepreneurship Training Programme.
1. Senior Citizen Home Older Women (SCHOW): Wangjing Women and Girls Society (WWAGS) is running seven Senior Citizen Home for older Women who are sixty years old or above but helpless, ignored, battered or isolated by nature or circumstances at seven different locations namely
This project is funded by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India. WWAGS is implementing this project in the aim of caring the older women and making them feeling homeliness while the older women are staying in the shelters. WWAGS provides good cares of the inmates, good foods, periodical medical check- up, medicine, Yoga, recreation time with different items. Outing programmes for the inmates are organised to visit other Senior Citizen Homes and religious places in Manipur. Each of the Senior Citizen Homes is looked after by qualified 9 staffs including a part time doctor and nurse. Many of the staffs had gotten training of caring elderly people organised by RRTC-NE and all the staffs of the Seven Senior Citizen Homes are well trained by the qualified staffs of WWAGS. The works done in the SCHs are evaluated by the officials of Social Welfare Department, Govt. of Manipur and monitored by the appointed staffs (monitors) of RRTC-NE.
2. Urban Livelihood Project (DAY-NULM), MUDA: WWAGS started Urban Livelihood Project for the people in the Urban areas of Lilong Municipal Council in Imphal West District and Lilong Municipal Council in Thoubal District under the protection, backing and support of Manipur Urban Development Agency (MUDA) with effect from 31 st December 2016 as a continuation project. The project is sponsored by Deendayal Antodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM). Women having similar activities are organised to form SHGs and they are given training to generate income for credit linkage with banks so that they can get financial assistance from banks. 368 (three hundred sixty eight) SHGs are formed and out of these 368 SHGs, 48 SHGs have already got credit linkage with loans at the rate of Rs. 1,00,000/- in each SHG from Manipur Rural Banks and remaining SHGS are expected to get credit linkage as soon as possible. During the months of lockdown due to COVID – 19 pandemic these SHGs prepare and design face mask which are distributed to public to protect from COVID-19 pandemic and also donated to district administrators of Thoubal District, Imphal West District and Imphal East District. WWAGS also had registered 2 ALF (Areas Level Federation) in Lilong (Thoubal Municipal Council) under the Co-operative Society Act and the remaining are under process.
3. Start Up Village Entrepreneurships Programme (SVEP), MoRD: The pilot Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme was first launched at Keirao Block, Imphal Wast, Manipur under the keen supervision of Wangjing Women and Girls Society, Wangjing Manipur. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed on the 8 th January 2019 between Manipur State Rural Livelihood Mission (MSRLM) and the Wangjing Women and Girls Society, the Project Implementing Agency (PIA) of the programme SVEP. This project is funded by the Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India. The required staffing of manpower was completed before the financial year of 2019-2020 so as to begin the work of implementing the pilot SVEP and the corresponding transfer of fund to PIA to initiate the preparation of Detail Project Report was done in time before the 31 st March 2019. With concurrence from NRLM, the pilot SVEP team of Manipur state shows great concern in the implementation of this programme. To execute the programme successfully, the pilot SVEP team of Manipur visited the SVEP centres implemented in the neighbouring states, Nagaland and Meghalaya to get more knowledge. From the interaction with the experienced RP of EDII as well as the NRP, the SVEP team of Manipur got oriented and cleared their quarries about the SVEP. After completing all the necessary initiative works, Keirao Block, Imphal East, Manipur is classified into four clusters namely Top Chingtha Cluster, Thambalkhong Cluster, Bashikhong Cluster and Keirao Cluster. Each cluster with the target audience of VLF leaders and members of SHGs, an orientation training was given by PIA-WWAGS with the good cooperation of the BMMU staffs along with their CCs. A notification was issued to all the families of SHGs located in the four clusters by inviting applications for the selection of CRP-EPs. The selection of CRP-EPs was completed by following the selection procedures given in the prescribed guidelines of implementing the pilot SVEP at Keirao block, Imphal East Manipur. The selected CRP-EPs was trained properly by WWAGS- PIA to enable them to give guidance and support to the enterprises, WWAGS, the Project Implementing Agency, received the final approval of the DPR on the 28 th November 2019 for implementing the pilot Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP) at Keirao Block, Imphal East Manipur. It was a very hardship work to conduct the necessary training programmes as it was disturbed by the lockdown of COVID-19 pandemic. By maintaining the SOP of COVID-19, WWAGS the Project Implementing Agency continued to execute the assigned works.
4. SHG-BANK LINKAGE PROGRAMME (SHPI, NABARD): Poor people cannot get financial assistance from banks as they cannot provide collaterals to the Bank for their credit requirement. However bank is ready to provide credit to them if they have peer pressure affinity within them. So WWAGS had formed 52 SHGs at 4 villages namely Salungpham, Ukkhongsang, Tentha and Echam Khunou to assist the poor people to get financial helps from the bank as on March 2020 under the SHPI project NABARD. All the 52 SHGs had done saving linkage with the nearby banks and started Internal Lending among the members of each SHG. But of these 52 SHGs, 45 SHGs had been connected credit linkage with banks and these 45 SHGs availed loans from Bank at the rate of Rs. 70,000 to each SHG. The remaining 7 SHGs will be connected Credit linkage with Bank as soon as possible.
5. VOCATIONAL/ENTREPRENEURSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM FOR YOUTHS (Jan Shikshan Sansthan): Skill development training program is a remarkably significant programme initiated and launched by WWAGS, which was started in 2002 for the school dropped out youths in Thoubal District. The profundity and range of promise of the project is to instill in a composite knowledge of vocational/skill development to youths with a view to enable to keep abreast of the contemporary transition phenomena of social living with a view to culture in the globe, to dispose of unemployment problems meted to budding youths and to usher to their happy survival sustainability. This programme is largely limited to the youths in Thoubal District. The categories of youths who are imparted of training under this project were classified as under:
The programme was implemented under aegis of Dept. of School Education & Literacy, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India under its flagship programme entitled as Jan Shikshan Shansthan (JSS) or Institute of People’s Education (IPE) formally known as Shramik Vidyapeeth. The program was registered as an entity on2 nd July, 2005 to function separate like WWAGS. This was done in compliance with the direction of Govt. of India. Even though it functioned as separate entity, it had been working in close association with WAGSS till today. Total number of 16,622 youths were registered. Out of this registered 16,622 youths, 7,622 youth had been given training in different trades and out of 7,622 trainees, 108 trained youths are connected credit linkage with State Bank of India and Manipur Rural Bank under the refinance scheme of Micro Unit Development and Refinance Agency (MUDRA) under the Prime Minister MUDRA Yojana. JSS was under Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. In the year 2019, it is transferred to Ministry of Skill Development & Enterprises (MSDE), Govt. of India.